Saturday, July 08, 2006

Polite, well-mannered, diligent, BORING

My second day of school was a lot better. I don't know exactely what happened but my kids calmed down and I was able to teach them the definition of a ray, line segment and line. They paid attention, did what they were asked, and only one or two dozed off. I was shocked and amazed. I thought it might be that I had been practicing my teacher voice, but probably they were just being nice to me and I got lucky. At the end of the class we gave exit slips to test their knowledge and I was really happy to see all of the ones with correct answers. I was bragging to everyone, look what I taught them today, they didn't know this on their diagnostic. Then I realized that my class was really boring. My directions were kind of unclear(for example on kid didn't realize we were on a break, he was just sitting around waiting). I did not have any fun examples, any jokes or math games. I felt kind of lame for that but when making the decision to stay up late to plan or to go to bed I just chose bed.

I'm looking forward to next week, I've spent the weekend trying to find fun activities to pay them back for being such great students. I also had them write reflections on a big goal in their life and got some awesome responses that really impressed me. I think that I like being a teacher, I'm not sure about grading, though Iwas able to grade diagnostics while riding an exercise bike at the gym and that was good. Every second counts here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home