Sunday, July 23, 2006

Vacuums and Girls

During the end of Friday the kids were relatively on task doing a worksheet when my other collaborative member walked in. He brought with him an attractive girl named Bre who was coming to observe. As soon as the two of them walked through the door the quiet work time turned into a giggling group of high schoolers and young teachers.

The students started to yell out...
"Mrs. Byerley, Mr. Idzikowski is cheating on you with that new girl!"
"Mr. Idzikowski, is that your girlfriend, she's hot!"
"Mr. Idzikowski, I want you to be my boyfriend."


Ms. Brown was laughing in the corner, and I was trying to fight it up at the overhead. This was the first time I was just laughing in my class. Feeling like I should get things under control I said, "This is about geometry, geometry has nothign to do with boys and girls and dating. We can all be mature." But I was still kind of laughing and probably blushing because it was ridiculous. I mean it hasn't been so many years since I was in high school and I still get all stupid over my crushes. So anyways, this takes a few mintues to calm down, Bre is mortified that she has disrupted my class so badly and everyone is just kind of laughing. Then out of the corner of my eye(my teacher eyes are developing but still not great) I see freddy in teh back of the classroom plugging the vacuum in and on the verge of starting it up. I want to assert authority and say confidantly, "Freddy, put that vacuum down adn return to your seat. You know taht rule four tells us that we can't vacuum in class." But the room is such a mess and we have ten minutes left to go until the weekend, and everyone is still charged up from the girl boy giggle fest so all I mutter is "Freddy, why do you have a vacuum? What are you doing???" in a very confused, laughing non-authoritative tone of voice.
I realize later that I'm finally laughing and that I want my classroom to be fun. Laughing is somethign I do in all other situations and I hope I can get everyone under control enough to laugh with my kids in the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home